Current research suggest that healthy pregnant women can continue to participate in physical activities with certain precautions. When engaging in physical activity, follow the guidelines listed below.
1. Consult with your doctor or midwife before begining or changing your physical activity program.
2. Begin slowly. Start with aerobic activity three times per week for 15 minutes.
3. Avoid activities which require sudden starts or stops, jumping, or rapid changes in direction.
4. Always stretch your muscles before and after your activity.
5. Drink water before, during, and after your activity to replace body fluids lost through perspiration and breathing.
6. Your body temperature should not exceed 38 degrees celcius. Avoid being active in hot, humid weather or when you are ill and have a fever. Check the temperature of a heated pool before swiming. Avoid hot tubs or whirlpools.
7. After four months or 16 weeks of pregnancy, avoid exercises which require you to lie on your back. Instead, perform these exercises while lying on your side, sitting or standing.
Remember that each physical activity session should include stretching and aerobic activity. Feel free to include two sessions of muscle conditioning exercises per week for better results. Happy workout!